Welcome To Lake Avondale

It may also be "Avondale Lake," but one thing's for certain - our lake is home to thousands of interesting characters! Plus, there are a few noteworthy humans around also.

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Melville's Lesson


We do not hope to fare his equal.
His nobility will shame us all,
Who fete the faults of friends . . .
And seek to better foes with plans.
His every thought, his moves and scans
He effects to nobler ends.

His brow aims straight his steady stare.
The neighborhood circles, fully aware
His studies do not surveil them . . .
But such countenance does his stature hold
No creature will pretend so bold
To ignore a realm claimed by him.

The rest of our world just passes by . . .
The hours and creatures, while dreaming I
Might share some deeper union.
Then, without a warning’s waver
He spears some bit of silvery savor,
And glides to closed communion.

I’m left alone to recall in wonder,
Left to my lonely plod and ponder . . .
Why does he show me acts so pure
With no message for my further steeping,
No lesson for my future keeping . . .
I exist, but not as nature.

Melville's Lesson, (c) 2009 R. May

No comments:

Post a Comment